h a l l p l a n
Theatre on the Fontanka
Fontanka Embankment, 65
Imperial Theatre on the Fontanka is such an integral part of
Saint Petersburg as the Hermitage, Russian Museum, the Admiralty,
the Peter and Paul fortress and the Bronze horseman.
Imperial Theatre on the Fontanka is one of the most beautiful
theatres of Saint Petersburg. It is situated in the historical
center of the city.
The building of the Imperial Theatre on the Fontanka was constructed
on the site that belonged to the descendants, a general-lieutenant
Count Anton Semjenovich Apraksin, invited the famous Petersburg
architect, academic, building the theatre on his territory.
Fontana started his activity in Russia as an assistant of a
famous architect Garland Boss and became famous at once reconstructed
his own mansion at Dvortsovaya Embankment, 10, built in 17th
century. L.F.Fontana constructed many buildings in the city
but he famous for his project of one of the best hotels in Saint
Petersburg - "Europe".
The theatre building was completed in 1878. Contemporaries rated
its functional merits and interior beauty highly. The inner
design of the theatre has ancient sculpturing with golden covering,
painted ceilings in all rooms; a laced marble staircase leads
to the foyer of Greek hall. The staircase is lighted by ancient
torches, designed as woman figures held furning torches. The
hall is equipped by comfortable velvet seats in dark blue.
First performances of many drama compositions of Russian classics
were staged at the Imperial Theatre on the Fontanka. A Great
Russian actress M.G.Savina made her debut there. Foreign artistes
on tour also performed there - famous Italian drama artists
Eleonora Duze, omazo Salvini, Sandro Moissii; Theatre Comedi
Frances with Zh.Munne-Sully. Great Sara Bernar performed at
the Theatre on Fontanka.
On the Emperor stage the Italian opera of Gelsingfor theatre
performed, the great Italians M.Battistini, L.Mazini, D.Anselmi
Sany, brilliant Isidora Dunkan danced.