The annals of Valaam 1855 - 1885
1855, 30th of January
The wooden church in the name of Saint Alexander of Svir was consecrated in Svyatoostrovsky skete.
A wooden house for the Father Superior was built on the Predtechensky Island (the Island of John the Baptist), and a well was also dug near it.
A Finnish stone hotel was built. In the war of 1939-40 this hotel was bombed and absolutely destroyed.
An ancient wooden church was brought to the Island of John the Baptist (Predtechensky Island) in the Valaam archipeligo, from Old Ladoga. That church had been built in the Vasilyevsky churchyard by the then dispersed Valaam monks living there.
1858, 15th of June
After re-construction, a church in the name of Saints Sergiy and Herman was consecrated in the lower church of the monastery cathedral.
1858, 20th of June
The upper wooden church in the name of Saint John the Baptist was consecrated in the skete of John the Baptist.
1858, 28th of June
His Majesty Alexander II visited the Valaam monastery with his spouse and children. To commemorate that event, a chapel, the so-called "Tsar's Chapel", was soon built in the monastery.
A stone house with a home church in the name of Saint John Damaskinos was built for the skete brotherhood in Nikolsky skeet; the church was consecrated in 1865.
In the main bay of the monastery, on a steep granite rock of the coast opposite the monastery, a tide-gauge was cut for observation of the water level in Lake Ladoga.
1859, 1st of January
From that date on, daily observation was started on Valaam over the fluctuation of the water level in the Lake Ladoga, to be continued for 81 years without interuption by the brotherhood of the monastery until the 1st of December 1939.
1860, 30th of January
The lower church in the name of the Three Saints of the Universe was consecrated in the skete of John the Baptist.
A stone building of water-supply and lock-smith mechanical shops was constructed and equipped, which was replenished by an extension in 1911. In the war of 1939-40 that building was burnt and destroyed, the water-supply system having been damaged.
A wooden church in the name of God's Prophet Elijah was consecrated in Ilyinsky (Elijah) skete.
1870, 25th of September
A wooden church in the name of the Konevskaya Icon of Our Lady was consecrated in Konevsky skete.
A stone house for workers with a stable for horses and a hayloft was built in the monastery. In the war of 1939-40 that building suffered to a certain extent.
1873, 9th of October
A wooden church in the name of Saint Avraamy of Rostov was consecrated in Avraamyevsky skete. In 1920 that church was dismantled.
The huge St Andrew's bell, weighing 1000 poods (16t) was cast in Saint Petersburg for the monastery cathedral. In the war of 1939-40 that bell was broken.
1876, 12th of September
A stone cemetery church in the name of the Saint Fathers Glorified in the Fast and Feat was consecrated in Nazaryevskaya Hermitage.
Beautiful granite stairs, [62 steps] were built in the monastery to the steamer wharf, as well as a cast-iron grating with granite pillars on the harbor side of the main site in front of the holy gate.
Burials of deceased Fathers Superior of the monastery, novices and pilgrims were started in Nazaryevskaya Hermitage. Father Superior Damaskinos was the first to be buried there.
The stone building of the monastery farm was built with a cowbarn as well as all other out-buildings.
A stone barn for the storage of foodstuffs and various household supplies was built in the monastery. In the war of 1939-40 this barn was destroyed.
An external stone building was built, being incorportated into the former hospital, for the vestry. In the war of 1939-40 that building was burnt out together with the Church of the Holy Trinity, while the lower Church of the Life-Giving Spring suffered severe damage.
1884, 18th of August
A new building of the monastery's library was opened to house all the monasteries books. In the war of 1939-40 the room of the vestry situated above the library was burnt out, as mentioned before; however, the library survived thanks to the fact that its vaults were made of stone.
A tar-works (of stone) and leather-making works (of wood) were built; two furnaces for lime burning were constructed near them as well. In the war of 1939-40 the wooden leather-making works were burnt.