construction of the gate in the Catherine Ramparts of the Peter and Paul
Fortress between the Naryshkin and Gosudarev Bastions goes back to the
1730s. The order to erect “the gate with architectural decorations on the
waterside of the Fortress” was issued on March 13, 1731.
gate was built only to be altered already in 1746 according to a new design.
At the same time the wooden pier was constructed.
facade of the gate overlooking the Fortress courtyard retained its original
outlook, whereas the Neva facade was altered when the Fortress walls were
faced with granite according to the design by N.Lvov. The design was
approved in 1780 but was implemented only in 1784-1787. As a decorative
element Lvov used a four-column portico crowned with a pediment.
Commandant’s Pier was built in granite in 1774-1775. Protruding far into
the river the pier is connected with the bank by means of a triple span
Beautifully designed and built the Neva Gate and the Pier constitute one of the key elements of the architectural ensemble of the Fortress.