HOME > MUSEUMS > PETER AND PAUL FORTRESS
PETER AND PAUL FORTRESS

St.John Gate 

  .    

The St.John Gate is located in the left side of the Ravelin of the same name built in 1731-1740 under the supervision of the engineer B.von Munnich.

The date over the archway The year 1740 marks the completion of all fortification facilities on the Zayatchy (Hare) Island.

The main facade of the Gate represents a classical composition dating from the Italian Renaissance architecture. The similar decoration had some other gates in the Fortress (the Neva Gate, the Vasilyevsky Gate, the St. Nicholas Gate). The tympanum of the Gates pediment encloses a cartouche and the image of the Russian Imperial Crown surrounded by banners and various military attributes.
 
         
________
Museums