|Three-Part Icon of Our Lady of Bogolyubsk, with Saints Alexander Nevsky and Mary Magdalene
Ivan Khlebnikov factory, Moscow
Tempera on panel; silver, enamel
54 x 49.2 cm
This icon was presented to Alexander III and Empress Maria Fyodorovna on Coronation Day, May 14, 1883. According to contemporaries, this icon was the most elegant of all the gifts. The contours of the icon repeat the design of the Church of the Intercession of the Virgin, built in the town of Vladimir by Saint (Prince) Andrey Bogolyubsky. The icon was commissioned by the nobility of Vladimir specially for the coronation.